Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Expectations vs. Reality

Coming off of my last post about timing, I got to thinking about expectations and reality. More often than not you'll find people to be in one of two camps... the optimists, who have high expectations and are determined to meet them; and the pessimists who have "realistic" expectations of the situation. In the past I always liked to joke that I was a pessimist because that way I would always be right, or pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, the older I get - the more I wonder if all of that is really true. Looking back, I can see the direction my life has taken me, and how I've gotten to where I'm at. If I take a good look, however, I find that often times my reality either never met my original expectations, or so far surpassed them that I had to remind myself of the original goal.

I believe the late Gilda Radner summed up the disenchantment between expectations and reality best.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next...Delicious ambiguity."

am-bi-gyoo-i-tee
- noun, plural
1. doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention
2. an unclear, indefinite, or equivocal word, expression, meaning, etc.

Hmmm, maybe people weren't that off base when they said that life isn't always seen in black and white, but rather shades of grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment