Wednesday, November 3, 2010

To New Beginnings?

Well, I did it... I got a job, albeit it's a six month contracting gig, but it's a job. What I do not have, however, is a job in the industry that I want to be working in. I'm not stupid... I know in this economy beggars can't be choosers, and while I'm grateful to have a steady income, I still hold onto that fear that I'm selling out.

Anyway, while I was readying myself for what will now be my daily commute, I saw a snippet of "Closer to the Edge" from 30 Seconds to Mars. Yes that is the band that features Jared Leto (AKA Jordan Catalano) as the lead singer, but before you judge... maybe check out the video. At the end, there's a girl who looks directly into the camera and states, "Some people believe in God, I believe in music... Some people pray, and I turn up the radio." Right then and there I fell in love with that statement.... why? There I was driving to work, caught in that chasm between excitement and fear, and in the midst of telling myself that this is a new chapter, a new beginning... (Sidebar, why do we call it a new beginning? I mean if something has ended, obviously a beginning has to occur after said ending, and if that's the case... isn't it always new?) the song "Waiting for the End" by Linkin Park came on the radio...

Lyrics can be found here, but my two favorite parts...

The refrain:
"I know what it takes to move on
I know how it feels to lie
All I wanna do is trade this life for something new
Holding on to what I haven’t got"

And the third verse - specifically the last line:
"What was left when that fire was gone
I thought it felt right but that right was wrong
All caught up in the eye of the storm
And trying to figure out what it’s like moving on
And I don’t even know what kind of things I said
My mouth kept moving and my mind went dead
Picking up those pieces now where to begin
The hardest part of ending is starting again"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment