Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Have a Little Faith in Me

To say that I grew up in a non-religious household would be an outright lie. The product of two devout Roman Catholics, I went to school thinking that uniforms and Theology classes were normal from 1st grade through high school. Anyway, I never minded being Catholic growing up, and it's not to say that I mind it now - but that discussion is for a different day - however, at some point in time my unwavering faith diminished.

Anyway, as with any lack of faith came a lack of confidence, which soon led me to asking those two little questions that I know everyone asks at one point or another in their life..."what if". "What if he never calls me back?" "What if my parents move the entire family to Texas?" "What if I never see them again?" It's amazing how one small phrase comprised of six letters and one space can literally change your life.

Flash forward to the summer of 2010 and I'm having lunch with my friend MJ and we decide to go see the ultimate chick flick of the summer, "Letters to Juliet." Toward the end of the movie, Vanessa Redgrave reads her letter to the audience, and well - I'll just let the words do the rest. (Sidebar, since this was a chick flick the premise of the letter is about love. However, I think the bolded parts like most poetry, literature and songs, can be used to describe life).

Dear Claire,

What and if are two words as non-threatening as words can be, but put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life.

What if, what if... what if? I don't know how your story ended but if what you felt then was true love, then it's never too late.

If it was true then, why wouldn't it be true now? You need only the courage to follow your heart. I don't know what a love like Juliet's feels like. A love to leave loved ones for, a love to cross oceans for; but I'd like to believe if I ever were to feel it that I'd have the courage to seize it. And Claire, if you didn't - I hope one day that you will.

All my love,
Juliet

No comments:

Post a Comment