Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Give Me Something to Believe In

"Everything happens for a reason, and part of the beauty of life is that we're not allowed to know those reasons for certain." - Aron Ralston

That quote is from the phenomenal read "127 Hours Between a Rock and a Hard Place". If you haven't read the book, or seen the movie, I highly recommend it. It's a memoir of climber Aron Ralston's journey when he was literally stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Anyway, I digress... I chose the above quote because right now I need to remind myself that everything really does happen for a reason, even if I can't figure out what that reason is.

In his book, Ralston begins each chapter with a quote from a famous philosopher, athlete, singer or prophet... This quote on belief from Lance Armstrong was too good to not share.

"I believed in belief, for its own shining sake. To believe in the face of utter hopelessness, every evidence to the contrary, to ignore apparent catastrophe - what other choice was there? ... We are so much stronger than we imagine, and belief is one of the most valiant and long-lived human characteristics. To believe, when all along we humans know that nothing can cure the briefness of this life, that there is no remedy for our basic mortality, that is a form of bravery. To continue believing in yourself...believing in whatever I chose to believe in, that was the most important thing..."

Even though I don't understand the reason for some of the things happening in my life right now, I still believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment